14 February 2011

11.02.11
Analysing my concept through moving image and staged scenes; Making my film.

I have never made a film before and am quite unsure about how to go about making one now. However afew weeks ago I had never made a book before and the ones I've tried turned out ok! My initial thoughts are that I hope to create a piece that is visually appealing and interesting around the concept of escape/escaping/escapism. Possibly bringing to life some of the imagery used in my Look Book.

After conducting some initial research starting with the links we were given this is the piece that particularly stuck in my mind; http://www.itsnicethat.com/





I think that's because its such a simple idea and such simple actions but somehow its engaging and interesting. Maybe I will use lots of different items filmed in brief shots for my film?

I would like my piece to be a bit more artistic and staged than this though I think, maybe more like Min Oh's work;

http://www.min-oh.net/
Min Oh describes herself as a storyteller. 'She makes stories about tension between two contradictory qualities - sweet but disturbing, naive but violent, rational but personal, unreasonable but somehow reasonable. The constantly conflict but never leave each other. Instead they keep a weird balance between them.'
I think her work shares some qualities with Lucy's in this way, the whole sinister undercurrent to some pieces when the work at first appears pretty and innocent. Min Oh also collects found items,


"She used to go to a field trip to find new friends: parts of a broken paper clip, a bicycle or handle of a door... Anything that was abandoned or overlooked said hi to her"




These stills are from an Min Oh film called 'Objects' she manipulates the different 'faces' of this plug to make it look like it is breathing and moving. Most of the work is done by the clever use of breathing sounds over the changing pictures. It is quite simple animation of an inanimate object but a powerful and interesting piece.

These stills are from another piece of hers called ' Monkeys butt is red'. We see one hand holding one children's word card throughout the film but every time it is turned over the word and picture has changed to go along with the song being sung over the top. It starts of quite sweet and naive, how you'd expect children's cards to read and then become more sinister, although quite amusing;




I quite like the idea of animating collected inanimate objects in my film. The phrase 'Lucy's safe place' was used by someone in my last tutorial to describe what they though my space for Lucy was going to be. I think this is quite interesting. Could my film be lots of short shots of animated objects 'escaping' and coming together in some way at the end to suggest a safe place or permanent home/environment?

No comments:

Post a Comment