3 May 2011

Initial design sketches
I have what I feel is a strong concept and lots of little ideas for my interior spaces but I am struggling to find the right form to create my spaces within. With the deadline for our banners only afew days away I really need to make some decisions. Inspired by images like these from my earlier research...



... I want to take forward the idea of a bookshop/exhibition space and hidden speakeasy section. I hope to create a space that will fit in to a row of shops on any high street as it should be a place any ordinary person can go to escape from everyday life for a while. Combing this with idea of the exterior facade 'keeping the interiors secret' I have come up with an initial design:



From the outside it looks an ordinary Georgian townhouse type building with traditional shop front, the bookshop inside is bright, light and contemporary. Books are clearly displayed on floor to ceiling bookcases with glass steps housing more pieces and encouraging interaction between customers and the items on the shelves. The steps also create a kind of stage within the space showcasing Lucy's work. There is seating within the silhouettes of traditional bookcases and it is through one of these a secret door way allows you upstairs to the inserted balloon structure hidden from outside behind the facade of the shop.



I like this design but I don't love it and the more I look at it the more I question it and think its really wrong. I'm starting to feel it is far to literal and I need to rethink and design something more sophisticated to make the most of my concept. Luckily the deadline has changed for the banners showing our concepts! So I am going to do some rethinking and revisiting past research...



No comments:

Post a Comment